The International Wisconsin Ginseng Festival will celebrate Wausau/Central Wisconsin as the Ginseng Capitol of the World. Festivities will take place over three days, September 15, 16, 17, 2017 at downtown Wausau’s 400 Block city square park and along adjoining streets. Additionally, a variety of tours, demonstrations and other activities will be offered at several locations throughout the area, with shuttle buses transporting attendees to the many off-site attractions. Festival attendees will receive maps and programs outlining the schedule of activities along with punch cards to encourage them to explore the off-site activities and to be entered into a raffle for a chance to win a variety of prizes.
This multi-faceted event will have broad appeal, with agricultural, culinary, educational, historical, arts and entertainment aspects being showcased. The festival will also feature multicultural aspects, as the Hmong and Native American communities have significant influences on ginseng production. By working closely with the Native American liaison as well as the local Hmong American Center, the festival will incorporate elements such as traditional dance, foods, and the history of ginseng within their cultures.
Outlined are the variety of activities that will take place during the festival at the main festival location – downtown Wausau’s 400 Block city square park:
- Food, wine, beer, tea and other beverages that will incorporate ginseng as an ingredient
- Traditional Hmong and Native American foods
- Wisconsin favorites including cheese curds and brats
- Entertainment on the main stage including music and other performances
- Juried vendors with art and items for purchase
- Hands on activities for children relating to ginseng
- Downtown shops and restaurants will participate with special offers and ginseng related food and beverages
Plus many additional activities throughout the area such as:
- Historical Exhibits, Tours and More
- Arts and Entertainment
- Seminars and Cooking Demonstrations
- Recreational Activities
- Ginseng Field Tours and Area Geography
The International Wisconsin Ginseng Festival will position the Wausau area and Marathon County, Wisconsin as the Ginseng Capitol of the World and will celebrate the many aspects of this coveted plant.
Make sure to check us out on Facebook and Instagram for continuous details and exciting news leading up to the festival. A full list of events and detailed information can be found on our website as well.